Saturday, October 3, 2009

Not That Scary Much...

Van Helsing... also not that scary.


So, as it turns out... Historical Model United Nations = AWESOME!!

As i mentioned here,I was freaking petrified of the entire ordeal. And yes, waking up very early was painful. But I had that coming (screw you Thom!! learn to sleep). But it was probably on of the most stimulating experiences of my "life" (read "this year").

Luckily, I was a pretty insignificant country (sorry Ethiopia, but you guys didn't really have much to say in 1949.. well, I didn't), so all the big players eg. UK, USA, USSR (all acronyms... hmm...maybe that's saying something...) were prepared, so they did all the big talking. And me and Oli and Ellen (Ellen was there!! And Megan!!) asked difficult questions and made funny remarks (Oli wont that comp with "The best defence is a good offence. But a good offence can lead to Nuclear Winter.") I tried to speak and failed several times. But I had fun passing notes and raising my placard (which I got to keep!! Anyone who wants a big sign saying Ethiopia just drop me a line... I'll do a good deal). And plus we all got lots of subway for lunch and a talk from the fantastic American-accented Dr Scott Walker.

Another highlight of the day was a presentation about the Global Poverty Project. This is a super exciting movement to end extreme poverty throughout the world by 2015 thats just sort of kicking off in New Zealand. I don't want to get preachy and explain it all to you right now (especially as no one actually reads this). However, if you keen on doing something awesome for the world, check out the website by clicking here. And be cool by being into it before everyone else then in 6 months when everyones heard of it you'll be like "Oh, I've been in on that for like... ages".

No comments:

Post a Comment

IM A BOX THAT WILL EAT YOUR WORDS!!! DONT TYPE IN ME!