Monday, January 4, 2010

Ready? Okay.

I'm standing on a bench in front of a fire surrounded by people I don't really know. It's very dark wearing my sunglasses at this time of night, and the people I was with before don't seem to be in visual distance of me. But at that exact moment I don't really care at all. I jump up and down ectatically. The euphoric glee that pulses through me is let out in my scream; "I'm on a fucking bench!!! I'm on a fucking bench!!" I scream, over and over. Eli would later tell me that he heard me, and recognised my lameness. Everyone around the fire starts screaming Bob Marley for a second time. They are all much older then me, and I don't know any of the words, so I get bored and jump down from the bench. I remember there was supposed to be a nude swim on the beach. I spin round far too fast, my head taking a moment to catch up with me, and head in the general direction of the sound of waves and singing. My senses are bursting. I am utterly excited and petrified by the visuals that I thought I must be sending through my outfit at the time. My hood is up, my glasses on. A cardboard HAPPY NEW YEAR! tiari perches on my head. In my right hand I furiously wave a red glowstick. In my left is my torch, slowly running out of battery. I use it to lead down the sandy path and away from the deadly dangerous tents. In between my teeth I bite on a bent new years hooter, slightly broken from over blowing. It screams painfully as I run up and down the beach. My aim is to frighten and to entertain all that I come across. I flail and blow, stumbling in the sand. The beach is completely lit by the full Blue Moon. I can see the water quite clearly, and the forlorn overlooking adults wearing tivas and headlamps. They pity me, or my absent parents. I hoot at them angrily, then laugh. With no nude swimmers in sight, I head for the water. Bare footed I run straight in. The water is warmer than then the cold dark sand, and frothy with salt. I splash through it, giggling. A calm wades through me. This moment is a new moment. A happy one. And now, it can never be replaced by pain or melancholy or sad indifference.

I miss my friends, so I run back into the trees to find them hooting into the air with much celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IM A BOX THAT WILL EAT YOUR WORDS!!! DONT TYPE IN ME!